lnactech
lnactech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  European car specialist, Shop foreman, ASE Master certification

A very loud sound/roar while driving and doesnt develop speed

Customer Question

My car is making a very loud sound/roar while driving and doesn't develop speed, only something like 30 ml/hour. What is the problem might be? Thanks, Larisa.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  lnactech replied 5 years ago.
Do you have an RPM guage on your dash? It would read the engine speed of your car and would be next to the speedometer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I do have this RPM, and it was in low digits. Is it a round cirlce like a speedometer? Do you want me to go and check? Try to start the car and check? When I started my car an hour ago to go home it roared so loudly that I wish I had earmufflers.
Expert:  lnactech replied 5 years ago.

I was curious as to what number that guage showed when you were hearing the noise and going 30 MPH. Did the noise come from in front or from the rear? Any warning lights on the dash?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The noise came from the front, but there was no lights on the dash board, which is unusual. I am going to check the numbers. OK, the car's speedometer doesn't show more than 10-15 ml, and the RPM is between 1 and 1.5

Expert:  lnactech replied 5 years ago.
So you cant go over 15MPH? Any fluids leaking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't go faster than 15, but I can't tell if there is anything leaking. It's the night right now and we have snow melting so I can't really tell for sure. I think there may be an antifreeze/coolant tank leak or whatever you call this fluid (I am really uncompetent in this matters), the one you suppose to put in the tank fosphorous free, it is the only my guess. The mechanic also told me that I will need rear pads replaced soon. When I push the brakes it feels like something scratches the ground. I dont' know if there is any connection between all of these.
Expert:  lnactech replied 5 years ago.

Its very hard to diagnose what you have going on with limited information. I can tell you that if when you hit the brakes you hear a noise or feel a grinding you are probably metal to metal and need immediate attention to your brakes. If you are leaking coolant(the green stuff in the bottle) You also should have it looked at. As for the reason you cannot accelerate past 15MPH There are multiple reasons this could happen. We would need to be able to distinguish the part of the drivetrain that is failing. Engine or transmission. From what you are relating it sounds like its engine related. Im not sure if the noise is connected, I would need to have a better Idea of where the noise was comming from. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you really need a professional to look at your vehicle and assess its condition. If you call AAA you can find shops that are reputable. You may call around and see if you can get one to give you afree estimate or at least give your car a quick once over to provide you with an idea of whats wrong. Please let me know if I can further help.

lnactech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: European car specialist, Shop foreman, ASE Master certification
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  lnactech replied 5 years ago.

Hope your car gets better.Smile