JHoop
JHoop, Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

the windshield washer fluid does not spray on windshield but

the windshield washer fluid does not spray on windshield but the tank is full and it sprays on headlights.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Couple quick questions for you while I pull up some diagrams:

-When you pull the switch to make the Sprayers spray, do you hear the little motor come on and try to Spray the Windshield?
-Or do you hear no sound at all?
-Do the Wiper Blades "flip" when you try to Spray the Windshield? Just no Fluid?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I hear the motor and the wiper blades do flip. The spray works on the headlights but not front windshield or back window

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
It don't sound like a fuse, but to rule them out, can you go check them for me please? In the Panel on the side of the Dash, look for Fuse # XXXXX
graphic
Also...While you are out there, spray the nozzels, and look under the hood and see if one of the Hoses has come disconnected. You will see the Fluid Leak.
Thanks, JHoop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check fuse. I checked as much of the hose that I could and it all looks connected - I do not see any fluid leak.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Ok...There are 3 pumps on the Reservior. One for the Headlight System, and one for the Front and Rear Systems ash shown in this removal diagram.
graphic
It is starting to sound like the Pump Motor for the Front and Rear systems...Or the Switch. As complex as they are making vehicles these days, the Washer System is still really basic. There is a Relay for the Wiper System located in the Under Hood Relay Box. It is possible this Relay is not triggering off the system.
graphic
We need to make sure you are getting Voltage to this Relay when you turn on the Switch. If you do have Voltage here, and the relay tests out, then need to make sure you are getting Voltage to the Pump Motor. If you are getting power to the Pump Motor, then check for Resistance at the Pump Motor. More than likely you will not have any, thus resulting in the Pump Motor replacement. If you would like to continue to test the Relays and Pump Motor, let me know. A Voltage Meter will be required for these tests.
I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Don't forget to click ACCEPT. Feedback always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
JHoop, Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner