Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1996 Volvo 960: rear main oil seal..oil leak..repair shop..faulty code

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Volvo 960 and needed the rear main oil seal repaired to stop an oil leak. I went for the cheaper repair shop to fix this problem and was left with a permanent Check Engine light on after the so-called repair. The Mechanic/Technician claimed when the transmission was removed during the repair that a wire was pinched and is sending a faulty code from the transmission, which is what is causing the check engine light to come on. The car drives fine, but the check engine light stays on. Any suggestions other than demanding a refund, which I did. How can this problem be fixed?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Your other option is to take the vehicle in to another repair facility, have the computer read for stored trouble codes, and then accurately diagnosed as to the cause. Have it documented in writing. At that point, you can return to the original shop to give them the option of repairing the problem, or for them paying another shop to repair the problem. If they decline, then you are left with taking them to small claims court for the cost of repair for what is causing the check engine light to be on. If the rear main seal is not leaking, you cant sue for the cost of that repair as the rear main was replaced correctly and isnt leaking. You can sue for the amount to repair what was broken during the repair that they refuse to repair.