Michael
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Volvo Master technician, ASE Master, EPA 608&609 certified
5122374

2002 volvo v70: cars..the ignition , srs airbag service urgent

Customer Question

Im a mechanic,an old one, familier only with older cars. Lately I treated myself to the car I used to drool over, a 2002 volvo v70. I am now unhappy, had the car two days and now every time I turn on the ignition , srs airbag service urgent , appears in the messages window. Id been trying out all the front drivers seat positions and suspected something had gone amiss in doing so . The plugs under the seat seem ok . What could be wrong and how do I clear the message? The sticker on door piller says srs is good til 2012 and the car has only done 105,000m
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.

You will need a scan tool capable of reading srs codes.

There are many possibile problems.

If somebody had removed the radio or disconnected any of the air bag wires the light would come on.

If it is an intermittant fault the light will eventually go off.

Has anything been disconnected?
Is there anything else that does not work? Such as steering wheel controls.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The previous owner had a phone taken out a fortnight before but I think its some thing to do with the drivers seat, what do you think? Would the phone removal several days before cause this? I ts not just the srs light but also the message in the messages box
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
If the radio was unplugged during the phone removal yes it could be the cause.
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Volvo Master technician, ASE Master, EPA 608&609 certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok so how do I sort the message in the dash diplay, Al Honest. And more.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Sorry my watch list didn't show your last question.

The message will be in the display until the code is gone.
The quickest way is to have the codes cleared.
If you wait long enough the car will see the problem has not re-occurred for a long time and clear out on its own.