JHoop
JHoop, Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Disconnect, override, or turn off the automatic breaking system abs?

How can I disconnect, override, or turn off the automatic breaking system abs?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Couple quick questions for you while I pull up some diagrams:

-Could you tell me the Year, Make, Model, and Engine Size please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1996 Volvo, model 850, 2.4 liter engine. I want to shut off or eliminate the anti-lock brake system (ABS).

(For us, it makes driving less controllable.)
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
The only way to shut it off without all the "bells and whistles" going off (i.e. abs light, brake light, check engine light, etc.), is to use the Scan Tool.

On another note, you if you are looking for a temporary fix, you can always pull the ABS Relay located above the ABS Controller, next to the firewall on the drivers side.
In the Fuse Panel, you can pull Fuse #9, in combination with the Relay, will disable the ABS.
graphic

No guarantees this won't make every light on your dash come on, or every bell to ring. But...your ABS will be disabled.

To test, drive at 15 MPH. Don't slam on the Brakes, but come to a "vigorous" stop. The Vehicle should pull (in most cases) to the Left. This way you will know the ABS is not functioning.

I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Don't forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'll try the fuse/relay approach first.

Is the Scan Tool a generic item? Please send me the brand and model and approx price, and a little about how it is used.

Thanks.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Scan Tools come in variable forms depending on how much you want to spend. The Tech II Scan Tool ran me around 2000 dollars. But it is a more "dealership grade", then some that can be obtained through a Parts Store. If I'm not mistaken, these are rentable at some major parts places. Click HERE for all you need to know (maybe a few parts you can skip) about using the Diagnostics Scan Tool.

Try the Relay/Fuse route. Let me know what happens. Thanks, JHoop.

___________________________
JHoop, Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner