Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

1994 Volvo 940: brake lights..windshield..dash warning lights..console

Customer Question

1994 Volvo 940-brake lights & rear windshield light do not work; dash warning lights do not go on to tell me of failure. Is this a relay circuit switch under the console? Repair man said he thought that's it. Checked the brake pedel swith and says its ok. I'm a lone woman driving in the dark in a big city with no brake lites--not a good thing. Only has 134,000 miles. I've taken really good care & regular top notch maintenance of my car. Hope you can help me. Thanks, Vesta
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

Hello Vesta-

This sounds like your bulb malfunction indicator is bad. This is tied into the circuit for all the brake lights and is a common failure. I actually keep a spare good one in my toolbox as a quick test unit.

Below is a component location diagram. The part I am talking about is 7/75 and is located in the center dash area behind the ashtray. It is a red cylindrical component.

If this has helped, please click Accept. If you require further assistance with this issue, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
two days after i emailed you i totalled my Volvo in a terrible accident. lucky to be alive. Guess i don't need my brake lights anymore. Thanks, V.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Well I am glad you made it out alive. Have a happy holiday season!