Michael
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Volvo Master technician, ASE Master, EPA 608&609 certified
5122374

how to time 1.9T engine after timing belt change and cams

Customer Question

how to time 1.9T engine after timing belt change and cams moved
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.

Let me check, you only removed the belt.
You did not loosen up the cam gear, Correct?

Did you line up the marks before you removed the belt?
Did you mark the relationship of the belt to the gear, to the engine?

If this engine has not had the cam gears adjusted, it wont be too hard to fix.

I will post more instructions with pictures in a moment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once i aligned the timing marks, I removed the belt. I did not loosen the cam gear bolts or anything like that. The cam gears did move once I was replacing the belt and I moved them back by hand.

I did line up the marks before I removed the belt. I did not check if the #1 Cylinder was at TDC.

I further adjusted the Cam timing marks to match the cam gear covers. As I mentioned on my previous writeup, the cam gears seem to be about on tooth off from the actual timing marks (to the right). the engine gave the same symptoms and now once they aligned perfectly from cover to gear it is acting the same way.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

Here are the marks you want to line up.
The crank.
Cam gears.

First remove the covers over the cam gears.
Turn the crank until you see the small marks on the cam gear. They are highlighted in blue so you can see.
Turn the crank until the dowel on the pulley is at the 11:00 position.
Remove the crank pulley.
Turn it until the mark on the crank pulley lines up with the mark on the oil pump.

Put the top cover back on over the cam gears. The marks in the cover should align with the marks in the gear. I suspect you exhaust cam is off a tooth.

Loosen the tensioner so there is some slack in the belt. You can use a pair of large channel lock pliers to grab the cam gear and adjust it the one notch.

If not you can just take the top of the belt off.
Adjust as necessary.

Retension the belt.
Double check all the marks align.

Here is a link to the timing belt replacement guide.
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Volvo Master technician, ASE Master, EPA 608&609 certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
From what i can see, the timing marks are off. As mentioned on previous emails, i lined up the marks straight with the marks on the plastic cover. I thought they were not properly and moved them. if you look carefully on the marks, it seems that the intake marks are one tooth of the the right and the exhaust are one tooth off to the right. I will make the changes and see what the results are. hopefully this will make the difference to have the engine on time. thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
The marks that Volvo has leave something to be desired.
They are not very precise.
I always mark the belt alignment to the cam gear and, the cylinder head before l start.
When I have the new belt on, I lay the old one across the. If the marks are still aligned I know the cam has not moved.
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On this date--November 23 2008 at 10:37 AM (18 minutes and 19 seconds later) i received the following answer.

1-First remove the covers over the cam gears.
2-Turn the crank until you see the small marks on the cam gear. They are highlighted in blue so you can see.
3-Turn the crank until the dowel on the pulley is at the 11:00 position.
4-Remove the crank pulley.
5-Turn it until the mark on the crank pulley lines up with the mark on the oil pump.

Do I have to take the T-belt off after step #2 ???
If I turn the crank after step #2 I will be moving the Cam timing marks.
On step 5 i speculate I have to turn the crankshaft pullye till it lines up with the mark on the oil pump--I have looked and there is no mark on the oil pump. the only mark i see is the one highlighted on the sent picture of the crank at about 11:00. is there another mark? and if so--using the clock method at what time will it be??
I'm I trying to position #1 cylinder at TDC on compression stroke? if so my crank Tbelt sprocket will be way off about the 14:30--15:00 time.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Do not take the belt off untill after everything is lined up. Or at least as close as you can get.

Yes you will be moving moving the cam marks when you turn the crank.

Here is a better picture of the crank marks.
The dowel pin will be at 12:00 at tdc.
There is a slighty raised part on the timing belt pulley that will match up to a mark on the oil pump. This will be at 11:00.
This is best seen if you look from the wheel well. You will want to take off the serp belt pulley to see.

Get the crank lined up before you loosen the belt.
Make sure you you only turn the crank clockwise. Otherwise the belt tension will be off and it wont be aligned correct.

Let me know if you need any more help.
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have placed some pictures of what my crank timing marks and Camshaft timing marks look. What I can tell you is that aligning the crankshaft mark to the oil pump does not put any of the Cylinders at TDC. to place the cylinder at TDC I would have to turn the crank about another 40 degrees to the right and none of the timing marks would align. once I reconfirm the timing marks on the engine, I reset the P0017 fault and started the engine. It duplicated the same code and was hard to start. Once it started the engine had a miss. So, far this information has gotten me no-where. I am afraid I have to stop asking questions because it is costing me too much money. Please tell me how I can stop this process and get my deposit back. v/r Marwin
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry you are having problems getting thing lined up.

It is not necessary to pay every time.

I can stop helping out at any time.

Just stop responding.

I have no control of any money.

Here is a link to the help section.

If your engine runs it can not be off very far.

Has this engine ever had the cam gears removed?

This could make the marks useless if they were not lined up when instaled.

Do not worry about any cylinders being at TDC.

You just want the crank and cam marks to line up at the same time.

The marks you are trying to line up are the same ones that wil up if you used all the Volvo tools locking the engine in place.

Where are the cam marks when the crank pulley is aligned with the oil pump?

Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The cam marks are aligned with the marks on the plastic marks. I have double check this fact and the engine runs like crap when cold. Is it possible the camshaft positioning sensor is out of alignment? or is this sensor Bad? I am very frustrated with this pease of $H!t 3ngine. If you tell me I have to take to the dealer I will no questions ask. But, having one tooth off from what it looks correctly alight realy sucks. sorry for eventing with you but as you know engine behaves as when I started with this problem. Were you able to see the pictures I send of the alighning marks???

thanls

Cid
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

The cam sensor is located on the opposite side of the engine.

If you did not disturb this I doubt it is a problem.

This started right after a belt replacement for maintenance. Not from breaking.

The cam gears were not loosened.

The engine runs, not great, but runs.

This points to being off one tooth.

It can be difficult to tell. Sometimes the marks will want to line up with the gear between teeth. You then have to use your best judgment to determine which way to go. If this was the case with your engine, you may want to adjust it the opposite way.

I did not see any pictures.

I know how frustrating things like this can be.

It is best to take a step back and take a deep breath.

I would give one more try. If still having problems I would take it in just to relive the stress.

I do not get this pleasure. I am stuck with something like this until I get it fixed.

Michael, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hate to said this; but you were right. I went back and moved the timing one tooth to the left and the engine ran worst. I then moved the timing to the right one tooth and wne I started the engine the engine code was gone. confirming what you have stated before--volvo timing marks have much to improve on. The marks were way off from what I had originally marked. The engine now starts good and for one instance it gave the code of #2 Cylinder not firing. I believe this could be caused by the rich engine running. again Thanks and hope other customers use a timing tool to keep the marks from moving.

Cid
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.

I am glad you got it running good.

You may want to check the plugs, make sure they are clean.