Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified
12611739

How do I set up the valve timing on a 2000 S40 1.9 T. Problems: 1.

Customer Question

How do I set up the valve timing on a 2000 S40 1.9 T. Problems: 1. When I set mark on oil pump cover between the two marks on crankshaft sprocket it appears to not be at top dead center. 2. The exhaust cam sprocket is not keyed so it can assume any position with respect to the cam, so how do I find the correct position? 3. The intake cam sprocket has elongated holes an is not keyed. How do I get the exact timing position with respect to the cam?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 8 years ago.

Did you loosenthe cam sprockets? were you doing more than relacing the timing belt? the engine will not be at top dead center when the marks are lined up on the crank puley. If you removed the pulleys from the cams you will need the tool that goes in the back of the camshaft. if you didnt loosen the pulleys just line up all the marks and install the belt. if you put it on without the marks lined up and cranked the engine you could have bent valves causing the low compression.

If I helped please press the ACCEPT button. if you have more questions please feel free to ask. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It had low compression in two cylinders (2 and 3) and was smoking so I thoght it had a blown head gasket. After removing the head, I sent it in to a machine shop to completely go through it. Yes, I loosened the sprockets. Chilton describes the tool and I built it. Following their description, the slots in the camshafts must line up straight across. What is not clear is whether the small half moon is on the top or the bottom when they are lined up. It is also unclear whether lining these up will also correspond to the mark on the crankshaft and the marks on the camp sprockets.

The exhaust cam the slot will be on the upper half, the intake cam the slot will be on the lower side, basicly they are off set. the crankshaft line up with the marks on the pulley and front of the oilpump. did you remove any of the cams? if so that involves a whole new procedure and I will copy it when i get back to work and put it on here, but is very confusing even to the experinced volvo guy.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I always turn the crank by hand to make sure the pistons don't hit the valves, just in case I did something wrong. Yes, of course I did remove the cams, since it was sent out to a machine shop. So the slots are not straight across, and one is on the upper half and the other on the bottom half. Are these slots parallel to the joint between the head and the valve cover?

I will look fo the procedure you mention tomorrow. Thanks!

Line up the crank mark,

next the slots in the cams will be parralel to the cylinder head with the exhaust cam slot being on the top and intake cam slot being on the botm

the center bolt on ex. cam loose the 3 smaller bolts on both cams centered in the slots and tight. turn the ex. cam pulley counter clockwise 1 1/2 teeth and lock the center bolt.

then if you rotate the ex. cam pulley clockwise till it stops the timing marks should line up. if marks line ten tighten the center bolt to 89ft lbs and tighten the plug covering it to 27 ft lbs.

then loosen all small bolts on both cams install the belt while making sure all marks are lined up and while using a ratchet in the torx plug of the ex. cam hold it to the clockwise position so all timing marks line up and small bolts in both cam pulleys should be centered the entire time. then adjust the tensioner by going past the marks to the right and then back to center and locking it down. while still holding the exhaust cam to the lock on the clockwise rotation tighten center bolts on bolt cams to 10ft lbs.

Using the crank bolt rotate the engine counter clockwise a 1/4 turn, then back clockwise till crank marks line up if cam marks line up and all small bolts are centered in holes you are done. rotate engine over 2 times by hand and recheck marks line up

If I helped please press the ACCEPT button. thanks Mike

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks!

Excellent description. I looked everywhere for this but could not find it until I tried Just Answer.

you will not find it that is a procedure put together during a volvo training class to try and simplify the process. thanks Mike

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, I finally had time to try what you mentioned and ran into a problem. When I put the intake cam slot on the lower side as you recommend, the bolt holes in the sprocket don't line up with the camshaft. They are about 60 degrees off when the marks are lined up. Therefore I can't put the bolts back in. Is there any chance that you wrote it down backwards? Is it possible that the exhause cam slot is to be on the lower side and the intake cam shaft is to be on the upper side? This I can do.

Really sorry it is opposite of what I said, doing it off memory and at the shop now and looked at the tool and ex. slot lower and int. slot high. Really sorry.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks!