Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair
9261905

S40 steering locked message, but wheel is not locked. Car

Customer Question

S40 "steering locked" message, but wheel is not locked. Car won't start. What to do besides have it towed? Thanks.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to justanswer........

Volvo steering locks use an electric motor to lock the steering lock when you remove the key from the ignition -- not the mechanical arrangement that has been is use for years..

So, it would appear, that if you can still turn your wheel as you say , then indeed the steering wheel system is not locked and you are getting a false message.

You are though in these circumstances, going to have the vehicle connected to a Volvo diagnostic machine to see whats going on here - it may need a new motor -or sensor - , in any event , its not something that you can do anything with on a self- basis I'm afraid - so its a call to your local Volvo dealer to have this done...
There really is nothing you can do without the equipment as I say...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~ Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - Thank you .

Feedback is always appreciated too

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Mike - it's the news I kind of expected. Would you have any advice on what to expect from the dealer as far as costs? I don't need to pay for unneeded repairs.

Because the car will need to be towed for service do you have any recommendations on how best to tow a AWD car? Flat bed?

Thanks again, Karl
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again Karl - Thank you for getting back to me ~

Sorry I was the bearer of bad news ;( As to cost, it depends to some extent what part of the country you live - but usually a dealer will charge around 50£ (sterling) to run the diagnostic and see exactly where the fault lies.. then whatever is needed for he repairs - you may just get away with a reset...

In fact, I have known some get away with disconecting the battery for an hour and sometimes that will clear it , if its just an eroneous error message ... You could try that too - but bear in mind you will need to re enter your radio code etc ....so be sure you have it - else it may be as well to put the money toward the diagnostic than having to pay for a radio re code!

As to towing, if it comes to that - the yes, flat bed is really the way to go on that....

I wish you all the very best with it Karl & hope I have been some help to you...

Please don't forget to press the Accept button if you are happy with my help thus far - as even though you have paid your deposit - I don't get paid for my work until the button is pressed ;)

Kind Rgds to you.....

MIKE

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks and regards!