Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A1, A6, A7

Car is making loud metal-on-metal sound.

Customer Question

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i FWD.
Makes loud screeching metal on metal sound when car is in motion only. Oil and coolant levels check good. Appears to be no damage underneath the car.
Was in a Volvo dealer 1 month ago for the 45,000 mile service. Was told everything was good.
What could it be? Brakes maybe?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
If the noise goes away or gets worse when you hit the brakes then that it what it is. but if this is not the case something in the drivetrain is causing the problem.

Can you tell where the noise id coming from? Front rear left right?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is hard to tell. Sounds like from all around. Not too sure of location exactly. Its so loud and annoying.

It only happens when car is in motion. I tried getting it moving and putting into neutral and it still happened. There is no change when brakes applied. Noise stops when car stops.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
There is somthing seriously wrong in the drivetrain. Could be a wheel bearing, could be an axle bearing or Ujoint. The car will have to be put up in the air and put in drive to locate the cause of the noise. If you want to eliminate the cause of the noise yourself you can put the car up on jack stands and do it yourself. Is this somthing you are interested in doing?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, it is already at a repair shop...had AAA take it there this afternoon.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Well I hope I have been helpfull.

And I hope you accept my advise.