Need4Swede, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master (A1-A8) and L1 Advanced Diagnostic. Volvo Certified, currently employed by Volvo dealer

2003 s80: with an intigrated phone installed in the dash

I have a 2003 S80 T^ with an intigrated phone installed in the dash. I know that On Call is deactivated, but I wonder if there''s a fix that would allow the phone to be used through a cell phone vendor. With new legislation in my state it''s now a fine to use cell phones while driving. Since the system is in the car already, it would be great to be able to use it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Need4Swede replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing!

The phone is an analog phone unfortunately. The letter Volvo sent out to customers a couple years ago along with the tech note we received stated that the phone support would be completely gone some time ago. 911 support was supposed to be continued for a while, but I think even that's expired now. There is no way to get a new subscription for the phone.

However, if you call your local Volvo dealer, there was a customer satisfaction update for the installed phones. Volvo paid to have the phone removed, a dash cubby put in the hole for the phone, and a software download to remove the application from the car. The software gets rid of the "On call plus deactivated" message and removes the phone from the car configuration. If you have the corded phone in the armrest, Volvo didn't pay to remove it. You have to get a new center console armrest pad or leave the phone there.

There is a Volvo blue tooth handsfree accessory module available. It allows the use of handsfree bluetooth phones and uses the audio amplifier and front speakers. There is a handsfree mic. that is installed up on the panel next to your sunroof switch. Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to install.

Hope that helps!