RMillerPhD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year of import auto repair, Owned and operated a Repair shop and Automotive Machine Shop

2005 volvo s40: leaking..drivers side..the hoses from the sunroof

My 2005 volvo s40 is leaking water when it rains into the drivers side (front and back). I've been told that the hoses from the sunroof have shrunk. Is this normal in a 3 year old s40?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  RMillerPhD replied 8 years ago.
No, it does not sound reasonable. You need to test to be sure debris is not blocking the drain hoses. If you would instructions to the sun roof let me know and I will upload the information.

Have you identify with certainty were the water is coming from? If you have not use a garden hose and track the water intrusion point.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RMillerPhD's Post: Richard,

The dealer said that the hoses were clogged and had shrunk, so that cleaning would not be sufficient - it required replacing the hoses entirely - not just adding on hose to make them full length, and $350 to repair. Because I drive significant distances for work, I have exceeded the warranty mileage by 10,000 miles (and the car had 52 miles on it when I bought it). My concern is that, in a 3 year old car, used in the Washington DC area its entire driving life, while cleaning the clog seems entirely reasonable, the hoses shrinking sounds like a manufacturer issue... or worse.