RMillerPhD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year of import auto repair, Owned and operated a Repair shop and Automotive Machine Shop

1998 Volvo S70: The trunk latch..lever..mechanic says

The trunk latch on my 1998 Volvo S70 appears to be broken. It still makes the clicking sound when operated with the remote or the lever inside the driver door, but it won''t lock/latch. My regular Volvo mechanic says the part has to be ordered (the dealer doesn''t stock it), but I was wondering whether it is something that might be fixable. Will I be in over my head if I unscrew the bolts holding it on to look at it?
You have many options with today’s internet, so thank you for choosing

Instructions for trunk Latch and cylinder

I don't believe that the issue is very difficult. The question will be if a spring or lever is broken how to repair would be the problem. BUT you might just find a lever that is stuck and needs freed up. If it were mine, I would first attempt to repair the unit.

NOTE: the database does not go into the inner workings. The unit should be riveted and a challenged to disassemble. Look for the failure and then decide a course of action.

Let me know, if you need more information or recommendations.

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.