Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It's possible that your camera had a static discharge susceptibility episode.
Were you wearing woolen garments at the time the problem started yesterday? or at least a woven sweater?
Those garments tend to generate static electricity, which is then discharged into any device you touch carelessly, through your fingers. The discharge may be too faint to feel, but still in the hundreds of volts even if very low-powered, and can cause problems varying from temporary eccentricity of the device, up to and including permanent damage to its functions.
Was the weather hot yesterday, also? if so, that could have affected the camera for the worse, also.
Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. This would be called a rest-reset, and might help. If not, a rest-reset of two or three days could be tried also.
How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.
Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?
Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?