How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Russell H. Your Own Question

Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Category: Camera and Video
Satisfied Customers: 9963
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
Type Your Camera and Video Question Here...
Russell H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a coolpix p500. I installed a battery and when I pressed

Customer Question

I have a coolpix p500. I installed a battery and when I pressed the "on" button, it flashed green, then off. Thescreen is on and the telephoto goes out and in, but shutter doesn't work! Is the camera broken?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Camera and Video
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. (I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.) Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again. How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time. How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it. Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Russell H emailed me for my problem with nikon coolpix p500. I did as he asked me with same results, it's not working! to answer some of his questins: 1. I removed the batteries, 2. cleaned the terminals with rubbing alcohol and let it dry overnight, 3. I have new batteries (one month) and charged them again for over 7 hours each. 4. Camera is about 6-7 years old. 5. Never dropped camera, never operated in extreme temperatures, humidities and not in gritty or sandy conditions. If you can't give solve my problem, I would like my payment minus the $5.00 deposi, as promised. Frank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.
Giving the camera a 'rest-reset' without batteries was suggested, since it can cure temporary problems caused by static discharge into the camera's circuitry (usually brought on by wearing wool or sweaters, or wool sweaters, because those accumulate static electricity, which then can get into whatever electronic device one handles). I'm sorry to say the camera will probably require repair if the dysfunction of it continues, and the measures I recommended do not help. If you would like to have a chance at another Experts' opinion, free of additional charge, then I offer to Opt Out, which opens the question to other Experts.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Russell H said to OPT OUT for another experts advice without additional charge. Could it be done? I need the advice!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.
I have Opted Out. The question is open to other Experts now. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.