Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I suggest that you might have shocked it by transfer of static charge into it.
This is likelier in dry air, and when you wear woolen garments, or woven sweaters of almost any fabric, because they accumulate static charge readily.
Try these things, to see if it will come out of its (apparent, possible) state of shock:
Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.
Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.
How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.
Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?
Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?