How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Russell H. Your Own Question

Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Category: Camera and Video
Satisfied Customers: 9546
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747
Type Your Camera and Video Question Here...
Russell H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

WHEN I TRY TO TURN MY STYLUS TOUGH 8000 CAMERA ON, IT BEEPS

Customer Question

WHEN I TRY TO TURN MY STYLUS TOUGH 8000 CAMERA ON, IT BEEPS REPEATEDLY FOR 5 SECONDS AND TURNS OFF. THE SHUTTER COVER DOES NOT OPEN. PLAYBACK OPERATES NORMALLY. i'VE WASHED IT, PUSHING THE POWER BUTTON REPEATEDLY WITHOUT RESULT. ANYTHING i CAN DO TO FIX THIS?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Camera and Video
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been waiting for contact for over an hour. I withdraw my question. Please refund my $5 deposit. Sincerely, *****
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I'm sorry to note that you had a long wait for a response... a request for a refund is justified of course, but I feel that your question deserves a response nonetheless.
(As for refunds... I have no power over billing, payments, subscriptions, and have to refer such concerns to JustAnswer.com Customer Support, which can be contacted through:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
They ought to address your concerns with reasonable promptness, allowing for the hour, in their time zone.)
I suspect that your battery or batteries, in the camera, may have become too 'run down' with age, to deliver enough power to start up the camera any more.
How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.
Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.
Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.
How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.
Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?
Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your followup. Even though I terminated the inquiry, I read your suggestions and questions. In short, no, the camera has never been dropped nor subjected to an adverse environment. At your suggestion, I removed the battery and allowed the camera to stand overnight, I cleaned the battery and camera terminals with alcohol and retried - no success. I purchased a new battery (single LI-50B LION) and replaced it. Same symptoms. I think what we have here is a "BROKEN CAMERA". Olympus apparently want's $130 to repair it and all the local camera shops will do is send it to Olympus - at a surcharge. The cost vs value of the camera makes pursuing this further not cost-effective.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to hear that the camera has been well-treated.
Unfortunately, yes, it's probably in need of either Repair or else Replacement.
If you would prefer to replace it, remember the guidelines I have already aired, about good camera care:
- not too cold (below freezing, generally)
- not too hot, ever (above roughly 88 or 90 to 95 degrees F. ambient or effective with regard to solar warming in sunlight, etc.
- never dampened nor gotten wet nor immersed in water
- not subjected to higher humidities of the tropical/sauna type.
- never dropped or treated roughly likewise.
- and, a secret: don't operate it while wearing anything of wool. Wool accumulates static charge, and touching your camera while wearing wool, could 'zap' its circuitry, and ruin functions or the whole camera's function.
(You can wear wool socks, of course... they accumulate little static. But sweaters or coats - of almost any kind, as far as the sweaters go, and wool as far as the coats go - can be quite damaging to good digital cameras (and bad ones) in this fashion.
Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com. Feel welcome to return, as needed and at any time, to ask another question in any one of our numerous categories.

Related Camera and Video Questions