Hi there if the LCD does not display any thing then i like to inform you that the LCD is damaged and you need to replaced it for resolving the problem. But before that try these in below the list.
1. Ensure batteries are fully charged.
2. Look carefully between the lens and the camera body for any sand, dirt or any damaged etc.
3. Try turning the camera with the lens facing down and shake to dislodge anything stuck
4. Try removing batteries and memory card, wait 5 minutes and refit the battery only.
5. Now turn on camera( with out card ) and see ,if working then fix the memory card & again turn on the camera. If working then fine . Otherwise format the memory card and fix back in camera again & try. Make sure before format the memory card take a back up all photos in your computer then format. If no luck then reset or restore the camera setting by pressing Menu key for 2 sec ..in not done the press both Menu & self time key for 2 - 4 sec.
what about the mini hard drive? what do you mean,"external memory"? There are (4) AA batteries,(2)cr123A batteries,and (1)cr2025 battery. "remove battery which is easy way to take out", What does that mean? "clean"?? with what, how, and what must one be careful of? Why would the date window not display? This is getting frustrating! Is english your second language?