Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

I have a chicken that and also has a lot of fluid with the

I have a chicken that poops and also has a lot of fluid with the poop. I also have one that is laying eggs with extremely thin shells or no shells at all. I am wondering if the same chicken is doing this and why.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I have 5 and I don't know which one or ones doing this. The rest of the birds have normal poops and, like I said, I don't know who is having the shell problem.
JA: How old is I?
Customer: two years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about I?
Customer: I always have an egg with a watery egg white that spreads over half the pan. The others are fine. Again, I don't know if all this wateriness is related to a specific chicken.

Hi. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that you are seeing that at least one of your hens has a thin / no shell and possibly another with diarrhea. It sounds like it is possible that both problems could be coming from one hen. Is that a correct summary?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call premium service. This is automatically generated by the website, so you do NOT have to answer it. I can answer your question via text only if you prefer it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I have been working on my kitchen cabinets so that is why I have not responded sooner. I have only seen the results, but not the chicken or chickens responsible. I am not sure diarrhea is the right word to use because the BM is not runny and has form, but is in the middle of a liquid looking area. It is not all the time either. I am wondering if giving my chickens some fruit every evening might be the cause. Every evening I chop up some vegetables which frequently include greens, carrots, etc. I add grated cheese and sometimes chopped up apple or a strawberry or two. I also include a cut up white flour tortilla. Yesterday, I decided to skip the fruit for awhile to see what would happen. No runny anything today.

A sudden change in diet can definitely cause the stool to have more water, which can make it appear softer or progress all the way to diarrhea. Other things can cause this too including parasites, bacterial overgrowth, or liver inflammation. You could add apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons / gallon water) and yogurt with probiotics to help with the loose stool. The other concern I have is concerning the lack of a shell/thin shell. This indicates an issue with the reproductive system, although a calcium deficiency can cause the same problems. Supplementing with oyster shell is a good way to add calcium to the diet and may help with the shell. Otherwise, a good exam and culture of the reproductive tract +/- antibiotics are the way to go to treat infection.

Do you use a regular chicken feed?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They always have layer feed with added grit and oyster shell along with water in their coop. I can't tell that my chickens are eating any grit nor oyster shell. During the day when I look for eggs or just check up on them, I will give them some mealworms and/or oats. Most evenings, I prepare them a "Today's Special Plate" of fresh vegetables, bread, cheese, fruit in order to get them inside their coop to lock them up for the evening. I had a free range chicken that lost her flock who adopted us. She did not adapt well with the coop and my flock did not want her. It is quite a story, but we all worked out a working relationship. A predator took her after we had her for four months. It broke my heart. During that time I allowed my 5 hens to free range with supervision. The shellless or membrane egg is not an every day event, but I have had two instances within a couple of weeks recently. In spite of these strange events, all of the chickens are healthy looking and acting well. I will put some Apple Cider vinegar in their water to see if that helps. I appreciate your help and your time. I really can't afford this service, but I do appreciate your advice.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I meant I can't afford the telephone and to keep up with this service, but it is nice.

Just so you know, you do not have to accept the phone call service. That is automatically offered by the website, but you can simply decline it. If you have any other questions please let me know. Otherwise, if you could kindly offer a review of my service with you it would be greatly appreciated. You may select up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry