Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
94543743

My cat is 15 years old and has bouts of mucus and a tinge of

My cat is 15 years old and has bouts of mucus and a tinge of blood in her bowel movement.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: My cat is 15 years old and has bouts of mucus and a tinge of blood in her bowel movement and today she has no desire to eat and she has always been a big eater
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to hurt at all. The mucus and tinge of blood only shows up after she has had a movement
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sassy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sassy?
Customer: No, that she is 15 years old

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question about Sassy. I'm sorry to hear that she has no appetite this morning and that she occasionally has blood and mucus in her stool. Give me a minute and I will prepare a response for you.

Given Sassy's age, I am concerned by her sudden loss of appetite. The most common cause of decreased appetite in a cat of her age is kidney disease or failure. Kidney failure in cats is generally a chronic, slowly developing problem, but it can also manifest as a sudden change. Things that you can look for that may represent a more long term problem include weight loss, occasional vomiting, and increased thirst. Kidney disease can be picked up on routine blood work at the vet.

Another possible cause of decreased appetite in an older cat is hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism is also associated with weight loss, sometimes increased appetite, but it can make them feel sick and not want to eat. Again, this is detected on blood work at the vet.

Regarding the blood/mucus in the stool- this sounds like colitis (inflammation of the colon). Causes of colitis include bacterial overgrowth/imbalance, food sensitivity, dietary indiscretion (getting into something she shouldn't have), parasites, and lastly a tumor affecting the colon.

Because Sassy is considered a senior cat at this point, my best recommendation is to have her evaluated by her regular veterinarian. They will do a physical exam including assessing her hydration level and abdominal comfort. Based on their exam and her history they may also recommend blood work or imaging. Does Sassy have a primary care veterinarian to go see?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ana Bascunan