Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My 20 lb dog lost 3 lbs in 6 weeks. I've been feeding him

My 20 lb dog lost 3 lbs in 6 weeks. I've been feeding him more, and he's down another quarter pound. He's not drinking water (I add it to his food). He's been on the same food for a year. He did start exercising more (going to day camp).
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Louie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louie?
Customer: He's a rescue
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
One more note...he's eating fine. Raw diet. Slurps it up like crazy.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you please provide some additional information about Louie for me so I can better assist you?

How old is he and what breed?

Is he intact or neutered?

Has he had any blood work checked or a fecal check for internal parasites ?

Any vomiting or diarrhea ?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Dr. Denney - He's a 6 yr old rescue dog. Looks like cairn terrier who mated with a petite muppet. ;) He is neutered. He had fecal check in December and was clean. No vomiting or diarrhea. Only symptoms are weight loss and not drinking much water (if any at all).

Thank for that additional information.

So a few things this could be

1. IBD: inflammatory bowel disease: this condition normally has other symptoms such as some vomiting or diarrhea, but it can also just show weight loss.

Sometimes just adding in some probiotics can help this condition. I usually recommend canine fortiflora which can be purchased off amazon.com and mixed into food once a day.

2. Liver, kidney issues can cause weight loss: a physical exam with some blood work would be able to screen for this

3. Pancreatitic insufficiency: this is when the pancreas does not produce enough enzymes to help digest all the nutrients from the food ingested. There is a blood panel to check for this and treatment is adding in canine pancreatic enzyme to each meal.

So I would first try the probiotic, but if he continues to lose weight over the next week we will need to get a veterinary visit and some diagnostics done.

Does this help give you some ideas?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is fantastic. You've put my mind at ease. Thanks Dr. Denny!

You are very welcome good luck!