Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I accidentally cut my dogs skin while I was trimming his

I accidentally cut my dogs skin while I was trimming his hair I feel awful but I don't know if I should wrap it up with neosporin or just leave it alone. It's seems like it isn't bothering him but he's been licking it occasionally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: He's bleeding but it isn't oozing blood. It seems to be stopping though
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brody, he's a little over a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brody?
Customer: Nope

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How big is the cut, is it gaping open much ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah, it's on his front leg, like his elbow. I can send a picture if that's easier
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm not sure if the picture went through

Got the photo OK, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Actually that does not look so bad, the chances are that if you apply Neosporin to the area twice a day for five days or so then it will heal without problem, and these sorts of wounds are best left open. If you can clip any hair from round the wound first then that would help, and of course if it does not heal OK or if you note any problems of any sort then you can get your local vet involved at that point.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Brody's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh thank goodness. I was really worried. Thank you so much!!!!!

No problem, glad to be advising you, and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?