Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog ate roach motels while we were gone to the store, and

My dog ate roach motels while we were gone to the store
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bam Bam and 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bam Bam?
Customer: No he is otherwise healthy and so far is not acting irregular

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does Bam Bam weigh?

2- Did he also eat the plastic?

3- How many did he eat?

4- Can you list the ingredients?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He weighs 69lbs
Yes he also ate some plastic
5 are completely gone and 2 more have been chewed up
Fipronil is the active ingredient and then it says plus other ingredients (Food-based Attractants, Sorbic acid, Potassium Sorbate, Glycol, Water)

What percent is the fipronil?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
3%

How many grams or ounces was each trap?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do I need to give him something to try to flush his system?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

The bait itself (fipronil) is Not going to be life-threatening in a dog, very safe. The main concerned is the actual plastic that it can become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract or puncture the intestines if there are any sharp edges. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the plastic can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind the plastic and help pass it out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much!

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter