Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 40 lb pointer ate 8 unbaked croissants at 7:30 PT They

my 40 lb pointer ate 8 unbaked croissants at 7:30 PT They were left on a counter over night to rise. Each contained 150 calories. Now she's lethargic, but doesn't seem to have any bloating. That was this morning or 3 and a half hours ago. She's sleeping on her side right now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the pointer will be able to digest that. What is the pointer's name?
Customer: Heidi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Heidi?
Customer: She's generally very active. She's only 15 months old.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any change in breathing or does she seem wobbly when walking?

Can she keep water down? Any change in her thirst?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
her only symptoms are lethargy. Her gums are fine and her breathing is too. I pressed just below her rib cage and along her sides and she didn't react. she just got off the bed and went into the back yard and is walking normally. i don't know if she's had any water.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm waiting for a response

Hello again,

Thank you for your patience, as I was typing a treatment plan as quick as I could. :)

Now I am very glad to hear that you are not seeing those signs. The main concerns with this type of ingestion is that we can see GI upset but the yeast in the dough could ferment leading to bloating as you rightly noted but also we can see wobbliness, weakness, breathing changes, and collapse for those yeast producing alcohol.

With these in mind and given the stage we are at, we'd want to start supportive care for Heidi as we keep a close eye on her. Just in case there is still any active yeast in her stomach just now you can encourage her to drink ice cold water. This will counteract the warmth of the stomach and prevent the yeast from growing/fermenting. Further to this, you need to limit her carbs for the next 24-48 hours. This means no bread, no dog treats, and no dog food (especially no dry but even the wet does contain carbs). Instead, you need to feed a bland simple protein diet of boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or lean minced beef. You can add up to 25% cooked brown rice to this diet for fiber but we need to keep the carbs ("yeast food" limited). You can also add a spoon of pumpkin to her diet or use an inert GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, mineral oil) to just try to move this out of her GI quicker. Further to all of this, do consider treating Heidi with a OTC probiotic ((ie Purina Fortiflora ), as this will help keep the good GI bacteria population up as the yeast try to cause havoc.

Overall, she is a very lucky lass thus far to not have those more worrisome signs. Though with her lethargy, I do suspect this is upsetting her stomach to a degree. So, we'd want to use the above today for her; but to counter any nausea you could try her with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)) to see if we can get her feeling better here as we limit her risk from this ingestion.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for the advice. She just ate a little crushed ice from my palms but wouldn't drink from her bowl. Since she's already ingested 1200 calories I was thinking of not feeding her at all for the rest of the day. I usually give her canned unsweetened pumpkin and might do that. What do you think?

You are very welcome, my dear.

Good, you can offer ice to encourage her to take fluids. Or if she isn't keen on plain water, you can flavour it with low salt chicken broth. Otherwise, you could withhold food if you wish to, though the above are not particularly calorie rich. Otherwise, you can offer or syringe the pumpkin directly to again help bulk up her stools and push this through for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If I don't give her a laxative should I expect either constipation or diarrhea?

We could see diarrhea but the aim of trying to encourage this out of the gut quicker is to just reduce any risk of yeast bloat or alcohol poisoning. So it is ideal to be safe; especially on a weekend when most vets are closed.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
One more question. When can I begin to feel confident that she's going to be OK? She's walking around now acting normal, but I don't want to take her walking or running until tomorrow. Does that sound like a good idea? Oops, I guess that's technically 2 questions.

Hi again,

We tend to monitor for 12-24 hours, as usually are going to see signs within that time if we are going to. So, she can take things easy for that period of time.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.