Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 6 lb chihuahua has had loud bowel sounds for last 4-5

My 6 lb chihuahua has had loud bowel sounds for last 4-5 hours. Does not appear to be in pain but I can tell she is not resting as usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Rosa 10.5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosa?
Customer: She has always been healthy. Last month did not eat one day and took her to our veterinary; after 500.00 they said she was fine. I have 5 dogs and it would be nice if I could get some help this way before going to the veterinarian again!

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Is she eating and drinking?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She ate last evening. I have not tried to give her anything this morning. No vomiting no coughing I'm not sure yet about her stool. No previous medical problems.

So other than the sounds she is acting and being normal, correct?

Leslie, the bowel sounds you are listening are likely the contraction of the smooth muscles in the gastrointestinal tract and gas; this is very common and often normal if the patient is on an empty stomach. I would feed her normally this will make it go away. I would also keep an eye on her, sometimes this could also be a sign of diarrhea which could be secondary to things like dietary indiscretion, infection, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. But, if she is not showing any other symptoms it could be secondary to having an empty stomach.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Leslie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter