Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a 14 year old shepherd mix named Pearl. She has

Hi Pearl. I have a 14 year old shepherd mix named Pearl. She has arthritis and hip issues and has been on Rimadyl and Dasuquin for over 3 years now. She has developed perianal growths about the size of the end of my pinkie finger and an angry swollen redness around the anus a couple of months ago. Our vet has recommended surgery, but I am concerned about Pearl's age and other health issues. She had a cancerous tumor removed from rear leg about 1 1/2 years ago. We have done 2 weeks of Clavamox antibiotic and daily application of Ottomax (an ointment for the ear). After the 2 weeks, I felt the area had gotten worse and was concerned treatment was making worse. Now we are a week into a 3 week prescribed regimen of daily cleaning with an ear cleaning solution called Epiklean and continuation of the Ottomax. Pearl appears to be in pain, as the area is still swollen and red She hates the treatment and is suspicious of me even when I'm just trying to pet her. She has been withdrawing more and more. While I'm not opposed to the idea of surgery, I am not convinced it will fix the issue and am very concerned about increased infection opportunities due to the surgery. I love my dog and have done my best to care for her since rescuing her as a stray puppy. I don't want her last days to be filled with suffering. Sorry, but could use some advice
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Epiklean?
Customer: I wonder if this is the best course of treatment I believe the Epiklean stings when applied to such a raw area and may be doing more harm than good. I have been tempted to use something for diaper rash to soothe the area but have not changed gears yet.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I am so sorry Pearl is not feeling well. Ear infections can be so frustrating to treat because the pup and the owner are put through hell together. In cases where my patient is resistance to daily treatments and it is putting stress on the human animal bond I will recommend packing the ear with medication for a week and allowing the inflammation and pain to calm down. I will typically use a medication called BNT or TNT. Your vet may have this or may be able to order it for you through the veterinary compounding pharmacy called BCP. The number your vet would need to call to order this is 1-***-***-****.

As far as the arthritis goes there are some other things your can try on top of the regiment she is on now to help her.

Adding in a medication called gabapentin is great for arthritis and nerve pain. The first week a patient is on it there is an adjustment period where they can be a little tired, but after the first week or their bodies adjust to the mediation and their quality of life improves immeasurably.

You can also look in to acupuncture therapy for arthritis. I have seen it do such wonderful things with all of my patients that have arthritis.

If you vet has the cold laser that could also help with the arthritic pain. Those patients come in 2 times a week for this therapy and leave feeling so much better.

You also may consider tapering off the Rimadyl for a bit and using a short course of steroids to help get the ear inflammation cleared up.

Does this help?

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me for helping you.

I am also here for follow up questions. Just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards ***** ***** you luck,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** real issue I need help with is not an ear infection, but the perianal growth and infection at the anus. Our current vet is prescribing a regimen of ear medicine applied to the anal area. Not so sure this is the best approach.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thanks. Not now, am late for Church. Thanks for your help.

Is the medication called tacrolimus?

OK well let me know if you want to keep chatting about Pearl later after you get out of church.

Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney