Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Toby is half lab half beagle he is 12 he has had a mass on

Toby is half lab half beagle he is 12 he has had a mass on his chest for a couple months now and now has small bumps/hotspots all over his body. He has been puking at least once a day for a week now and as of last night refuses to eat anything. He is an eater too! He won't even eat a piece of bacon. I'm in fear that he is dying...any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: He has a large zit looking bump on his back as well, and he has surgery on a mass and had it removed in September then it grew back

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Toby is not doing well, vomiting daily for the past week and now refusing to eat anything, even favorites like bacon.

I cannot say whether the multiple lumps on his body have anything to do with his change in appetite and vomiting. It is possible for tumors to spread (metastasize) and affect internal organ function. But at his age primary internal organ function (kidney or liver failure or ketoacidotic diabetes) are reasonable possible causes for his symptoms too.

If he is vomiting consistently and refusing to eat he will become very weak and dehydrated and that can lead to him passing away. Since his symptoms have persisted and worsened I think it is time to seek hands on veterinary care.

I understand you may not have the ability to have him seen today because it is a Sunday, so at home to try to settle his stomach and get him to eat you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers, are very safe, and may help him feel better. They can be used as needed.

A couple hours after the acid reducer is given offer clear broth to drink or ice cubes to lick.

If that goes well you can also try a bland diet with increased fluids to perk his appetite and get him better hydrated. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Add low salt beef or chicken broth to his meals as well to improve palatability and get more fluids in which should help as well.

In an older fellow with these sorts of symptoms it is likely he has some sort of serious disease process going on if he doesn't respond to simple supportive care. He needs diagnostic testing to further evaluate him. There may be some simple things we can do to help him, or it may be that he is too sick to help, in which case you may need to consider humane euthanasia. I know he is a well loved family member, but I also know that you don't want him to linger and suffer or you wouldn't be here asking for help.

Best of luck with Toby, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Dr. Kara thank you so much! You may have saved Toby's life Sunday! The Pepcid worked great he has a mass cell tumor and probably not much longer to live but because of you we have more time with our little guy! I couldn't thank you enough! Toby says thanks too!

Thank you for the update on Toby, I am sorry to hear that he has a Mast Cell tumor as those can be quite nasty and lead to significant gastrointestinal upset. I am pleased to hear he was more comfortable with Pepcid on board. Thank you so much for the picture, he has a very sweet, soulful face. There is nothing like the sweet face of an old dog. Please give him my best and enjoy your time with him.

I am sure that your veterinarian has already suggested it but I recommend continued use of Pepcid (or Prilosec) and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to help decrease and prevent systemic symptoms of Mast cell tumors. The acid reducer helps with stomach upset and Benadryl is an antihistamine that helps stops histamine side effects. The dose is 1mg to 2mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. That's one 25 mg tablet per 12-25 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours.