Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 1 year old toy poodle (6 lbs) just swallowed a whole

Our 1 year old toy poodle (6 lbs) just swallowed a whole chicken wing bone (the smallerbofbthevtwo bones. We've retold by our vet that his stomach acids should break down the bone but to look for lethargy and blockage issues. What is your advice?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the toy poodle will be able to digest that. What is the toy poodle's name?
Customer: Billy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Billy?
Customer: No. We are suppose to go outbid dinner tonight but are concerned to leave him. Domyounthinkmhe will be able to pass the bone ok?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I’m sorry to hear that your fellow Billy ate a chicken wing bone.
While I understand that getting those bones out would be nice I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects like bones. The chances of tearing his esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the bones out is much too high. I hope he at least chewed a little before he swallowed as that will make passage a little easier.

The good news is that the bones in the wing tend to smaller and softer than those in other parts of the body, which means they are easier to break down and digest.
In this case we need to try and hope that we can get these bones to pass through his gastrointestinal tract. And that his stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments.
To help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take half a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with the second half slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the bones pieces slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the bones pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded and the gut isn't contracting on just bone.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check his stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days. You may not see any if his stomach does an efficient job breaking the bones down, but if you do see pieces you know that it is passing.

Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If you aren't seeing bone fragments in the next day or two, and he seems "off" a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bones are is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.
Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.

I think you are fine to go out for a couple hours for dinner, most of the time they are able to pass small bones like this just fine. We tend to be more concerned with large quantities of bones.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you Dr. Kara.this is very helpful. Btw, I gave an incorrect email address inadvertently when signing up Our email is***@******.***. I mixed it up and put it down as***@******.***. Could you have someone contact me so we can arrange the proper contact info with our trial membership. a Thank you again and we will follow your recommendations. Tom *

I will forward this to customer service so they can correct the issue. Thank you for letting us know, Dr. Kara.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara