Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a boxer who just went into a very bad seizure he

I have a boxer who just went into a very bad seizure he disoriented and drewling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the boxer's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: His seizures are far apart the last one was mild and 3 months ago

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Duke. Can you do your best to describe what you just witnessed? How long did it last, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Uncontrollable shaking drewling breathing heavy lasted about 10 minutes

Do you believe that he lost consciousness? If not, he suffered a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure). If so, he suffered a generalized seizure (previously called gran mal).

Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Duke's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Duke should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Duke suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Duke would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Here’s a quick synopsis of the type of seizures I see:

Partial seizures (previously called petit mal): focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body (e.g., facial twitching, chomping of the mouth); can be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, defecation).

Simple partial seizures don’t alter consciousness. Complex partial seizures cause the same symptoms as simple partial seizures and also alter mentation (mental status) and/or cause behavioral abnormalities.

Generalized seizures (previously called grand mal) cause diffuse motor activity with loss of consciousness.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?