Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is 8 yrs old bishon frise. She is bleeding from. I

My dog is 8 yrs old bishon frise. She is bleeding from butt. I think she has had some pain since this morning because when I tried to pick her up she yelped. I will take her to the vet in the morning but can we do something now. I gave her 1/2 rimaldin for the pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Does she have diarrhea?

2- Is the blood coming from the rectum?

3- Any vomiting?

4- You gave her rimadyl (carprofen), correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She had a little messy butt for 2 days but not a real diarrhea. Blood is coming from rectum. no womiting. I gave her Rimadyl. only half a pill.

1- To make sure I got this right, she is defecating blood?

2- Have you looked around her anal sphincter for cuts, swelling, etc.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not know is she is defecating blood. She goes to the back yard with our other dog and we do not accompany her. We just notised that there was blood on the towel on the couch. Lifted up her tail and that area is bloody.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After she got her pain killer she did eat her dinner.

Can you take a close look at her anal region and see if there are any swelling or cuts where the blood is coming from?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Seems to be a little swelling just but anal. Fresh blood again but not a lot.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know she was pulling her butt yesterday like it was itching

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok

Customer, if the blood is coming from the rectum it means that the large intestines are inflamed which can be caused by things like an infection, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. If she was rubbing her butt on the floor it is also possible that she could have an infected/impacted anal gland. Unfortunately, in this case, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, do not give Rimadyl this can make the bleeding worst if her large intestines are inflamed, wait until she is examined by your family veterinarian. Treatment will be dependent on knowing the exact underlying cause. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the advise. I am almost betting on the anal gland. Fortunately it is easy to pills into this dog with peanut butter.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter