Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I want to know if a relatively healthy male cat (around 11

I want to know if a relatively healthy young male cat (around 11 months old) with Manx syndrome and supposedly has an aneurysm will manifest the symptoms of total blindness, inability to walk at all, inability to close his jaws, and is unable to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: This is. this is not my cat. I am concerned for its welfare--it is owned by an acquaintance and I'm concerned for its welfare. I just don't believe an aneurysm would cause those supposed symptoms.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: If there is a way to post a photo, the damage is unfortunately and sadly apparent.

Hi I am Dr Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response.

I am sorry to hear this cat is having neurological symptoms. I would be more concerned with a congenital abnormality for these symptoms. In a young cat like this it would be rare for them to have a stroke or have an aneurysm. Does the kitten have a heart conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I'm aware of. Are you able to see the photo I provided?

Oh no that is quite a dramatic change. He may also have a infectious disease called Feline infectious peritonitis. This can manifest just like the symptoms you are describing.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=232

Unfortunately given the severity of the disease and the fast progression whatever this condition is most likely carries a poor to grave a prognosis.

Has their vet discussed this with them?

If this was helpful can you please take the time to rate my answer so I can continue to improve my services. Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If you have additional questions please reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To me, this appears to have been a blow to the head. What would be your thoughts on that scenario? The person with this cat has a violent history which is why I am so concerned. She has had about five animals die from "aneurysms" within a year!

Ok in this case call animal control in your city and report this. They will open an investigation and hopefully remove the cat if there is enough evidence.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/tips/cruelty_action.html Here is a website on that as well

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I'm familiar with FIP in cats as I lost one to that awful disease and I've never heard of these symptoms occurring in cats with FIP. And yes, we've tried the local police, ACO officers, etc, who do nothing. So you're not comfortable with saying it might be a blow to the head?

Unfortunately FIP can manifest in many different ways including what you are describing. I am a feline focused veterinarian so I see a lot of those cases. We call in the great pretender in veterinary medicine.

Yes a blow to the head can absolutely cause those symptoms. The cat in the picture also looks anorexic and emaciated.

Unfortunately being online I am very limited how much I can help without performing a physical exam on him. I truly wish I could do more to help, but I am limited to theorizing and giving advice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

What about calling their vet and letting them know your concerns? They will not be able to discuss the case with you, but if they agree with you and do think there is evidence of foul play they can lodge a complaint and get the ball rolling to rescue the cat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything you suggest has been done. Not sure who the vet is, but the vet we know of is being brought up to the board for her activities and knows what this person is doing. And, of course, without being able to examine the animal our hands are tied. We are just trying to put a stop to this person because about 30 animals have died in her "care" in the past year alone--all relatively healthy when they arrive and then "something" happens and they die--usually within about two months of their arrival. Again, thank you or your input.

I so sorry I cannot be more help.

I am*