Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a male kitten 9 months old. He has been vomiting any

I have a male kitten 9 months old. He has been vomiting any and all food almost immediately after eating, 5 mins. maybe. He does urinate and has had a formed bowel movements, normal color. He has an appetite and is playing with other cats in house. Ears are not warm and his nose is wet. I dont know what is going on or what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: Several messess. No can cat food, same as others and since he was small.
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Sammie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammie?
Customer: He's not neutered yet. Mulitple cat houseld, but their all normal.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has been doing this about 1 month. Yes he has kept water down. Gums I have not assessed. He lets me rub his belly and I did slightly press and he didnt seem to squirm. No plants in house, however he plays with everything, his toys, etc. I did want to add that suddenly Sam has been urinating randomly around the house, even right in front of us. He uses the box too, but spraying has been a problem. We didnt think much of that because he has another male in the house with females. However i have taken notice of the urine and its yellow no blood, and a fair amount. He always desires to eat even with right after he vomits.

Thank you,

Now if this has been an issue for a month already, we do to tread with care here. Kittens have very little body reserve and are high risk for dehydration and nutrient loss (leading to blood sugar crashes and weight loss) when vomiting. Therefore, we need to be proactive. Furthermore, a this will be a stressor for him, its question possible that is at the heart of his inappropriate elimination (though it would be ideal to collect a urine sample from him to make sure we have no urinary crystals present causing discomfort and this behaviour).

Now in regards ***** ***** GI signs you have reported, we do have a few concerns. Quick eating can cause this but we'd be particularly concerned that this may be due to a chronic bacterial or viral gastroenteritis he cannot clear, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or secondary to a foreign body having been ingested but caught in the gut. And given his age that last one is of particular concern with month long signs.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of his regular food (ensuring he has breaks to let him avoid over stretching the stomach) or we can try a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. You can also add canned pumpkin +/- OTC cat hairball treatment to these meals to help push anything lingering in the stomach out via the GI. As well, if he hasn't been wormed in the past month that too would be ideal at this point.

Since dehydration is a risk for a vomiting kitten, we need to keep an eye on hydration here. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, your lad's signs do raise some worries here with how young and delicate he is. And I suspect the urinary signs are secondary to a chronic unsettling from this GI issue. So, we'd want to tackle that first but of course do have a urine tested (this can be submitted even without him seeing his vet) and do use a enzymatic cleaner (ie Fizzion, Nature's Miracle) to remove his smell to where he is spraying. If we use the above, we can hopefully get those more pressing signs settled for Sam. Though if this lingers despite the above, then we'd want him assessed so that we can rule out a foreign body but also get him onto injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud before it can take a toll on him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you soooo much Dr. B. I will do everything oyu suggested . I have been without a job for months and I really cant afford an emergency vet visit. Or really any. I want to take him , but their talking xrays and blood work. SO thank heaven for you and your suggestions. I will try right away. God Bless you. Wish us luck! Sammie says thanks too!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you a plan of action for wee Sammie. Though since you noted more about your situation, just I case you do need him seen I wanted to mention a few options that perhaps could help. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help. Hopefully, you won't need these but just in case. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.