Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Leo is a 4 yr old half staffi half border collie. 13 months

Leo is a 4 yr old half staffi half border collie. 13 months ago he had a cruciate ligament surgery but hes still limping and always lifts his paw off the ground. My vet says it all looks good . Leo gets an arthritis injection every 3 months and i feed him Royal canine mobility biscuits. Should i be concerned about leos leg sometimes i think hes in pain thx
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes no wounds
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Border collie?
Customer: No

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Do you know what procedure was done- Lateral Suture/ MRIT or TPLO or TTA?

Do you know if the meniscus was also removed at the time of surgery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
TPLO i dont know if the menuscus was removed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cant afford the extra dont have enough credit for calling

Ok thanks. That is the preferred method.

Most dogs are walking within a day or two of the surgery. I would wonder whether there is a torn meniscus that is causing the chronic pain. The other thing to consider is whether the implant itself is causing pain or there could even be an infection at the site of the plate.

I'm surprised the surgeon doesn't want to look deeper into this and find out what's causing the chronic pain. These dogs should not be holding up the leg. They will get arthritis in the joint, but that's usually years down the road, not this quickly.

I would talk with the surgeon about why there is a chronic lameness and whether or not the meniscus was removed. If they're not all that receptive, then I would find another surgeon in the area and get a second opinion. They can look at the previous x-rays to determine if it's a problem with the implant.

Any time we see a lameness or holding up the leg, those are signs of pain. I would probably have him on an anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl or something for more chronic pain like Gabapentin or Tramadol. That should help with his comfort while this gets figured out. Ultimately, I think he'll need the knee re-explored to either remove the meniscus or remove the implant to see if that resolves the lameness.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you the information is very helpful

You're welcome. I hope he gets back on his feet soon.