Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog seems to be having some kind of epileptic seizures

Customer Question

my dog seems to be having some kind of epileptic seizures that the vet diagnosed as just dizzy spells. I'd like to understand what is really going on.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shepp and he is about 8 years old i have a video of one of the episodes recently recorded.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shepp?
Customer: not that i know of
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would very much like to see the video. You'll need to upload it to YouTube or a similar app and give me the link to it, please. Be sure not to mark it as private.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Video can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/ZSGG6umShE8

Thank you! Give me a moment to take a look, please...

His behavior is most consistent with a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal and now also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. His vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if your dog should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for this information.
I will get with my vet to show them the video and your comments.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?