Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My yorkie was trying to get out of my arms and she fell and

Customer Question

my yorkie was trying to get out of my arms and she fell and hit the side of her head she cried but now seems okay what should I look for to make sure she is okay
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: yorky
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes she is a Yorkshire terrier
JA: I'm sorry that yorky is feeling poorly. What is wrong with yorky?
Customer: she fell out of my arms and hit the side of her head she seems to be okay but what should I look for to make sure
JA: Where does yorky seem to hurt?
Customer: she cried at first but then when I started petting her she seemed okay and she is lying down now
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is yorky eating normally?
Customer: this just happened
JA: Is yorky having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: no
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is yorky behaving differently?
Customer: she seems herself
JA: How old is yorky?
Customer: she is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about yorky?
Customer: no
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your Yorkie girl who hit her head after falling a way. It's good to hear she seems otherwise fine right now. Hopefully she is walking straight (and without limping) and hopefully he pupils are the same size. Offer her some food and water and encourage her to have a good drink in particular. It sounds like she is fine now, but it would pay to keep an eye on her for the next hour or two to be sure. In particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hopefully your girl is still fine now? Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with your Yorkie girl a couple of nights ago? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc