Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My Shepard mix has had intense sneezing fits every few hours

Customer Question

Hello, my Shepard mix has had intense sneezing fits every few hours since Friday. She digs outside, but also on Friday she knocked a glass bowl of food off the kitchen counter which shattered and she ate the contents. Based on her symptoms I believe she may have a foreign substance (glass or dirt) up her left nostril. She has a small cut on her left nostril. Today I sprayed saline solution up her nose twice. It may be working, may not? She has been lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 6 year old Shepard mix. Mutt.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, she is a dog. Canine.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the mutt will be able to digest that. What is the mutt's name?
Customer: Foxy. It is in her nose.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Foxy?
Customer: Just what I've already typed.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Foxy. Is there any blood coming out when she sneezes? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She had a few specks of blood come out on Friday. None since. She is eating and drinking fairly normally. No blood in stool, no vomiting. But she is lethargic.
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 days ago.

Ok, glad she is still eating and drinking. Is she coughing at all?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No coughing
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 days ago.

Ok, thats good. I think the symptoms do fit with a nasal foreign body. Unfortunately, if that is the case, she may need to be anesthetized by your veterinarian to try and have a good look up that nostril and remove the foreign material, if there is some there.

Nasal saline drops are a good idea-that could possible help flush out any foreign material. Often antibiotics are needed as well.

You will want to monitor her closely for any coughing, bleeding from the nose, and appetite changes.

You can apply a topical triple antibiotic ointment to the cut on her nose.

Please post back on how I can help further,

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Dr. Snow. I was really looking for direction as to if this required a trip to our veterinarian and you answered my question with a yes. I will bring Foxy in to our Vet in the morning. You have been helpful
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 days ago.

I'm so glad. Please update me tomorrow if you can! And please kindly use the stars at the top to rate me. :)

Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 7 days ago.

How is she doing?

Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow