Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog was just running outside in the snow and when he came

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, my dog was just running outside in the snow and when he came in we noticed he was bleeding. I checked and he broke a nail almost off but the nail is still hanging. It does not seem to be an artery as the blood is not extensive. What can I do . I already cleaned and bandaged him for now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Hello Pearl, my dog was just running outside in the snow and when he came in we noticed he was bleeding. I checked and he broke a nail almost off but the nail is still hanging. It does not seem to be an artery as the blood is not extensive. What can I do . I already cleaned and bandaged him for now
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: he was running playing outside and broke his nail which is still hanging on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no. he bled some I immediately cleaned and wrapped it . however the nail is cut all the way up to the skin area and hanging.. I have him wrapped with gauze and a bandage and topped that off with an ace bandage. He doesn't appear to be in pain. Can I leave him like this until my vet opens on Monday am.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 14 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. The dog is a pittbull. And I have his foot wrapped up at the moment. He does not appear to be in any pain

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is in almost all cases a very minor sort of condition so if you have bandaged it there is no reason why you should not wait it out to see your regular vet on Monday. You would be talking very little risk in going down this route especially as he does not seem to be in pain.

2. Alternatively you may be able to remove the nail by firmly grasping it and giving it a sharp tug, often they come away very easily, alternatively you can remove it with scissors. both of these techniques may cause a little pain but if you are quick it will only be a twinge and then the job is done. It is likely that some quick may be exposed so in this case apply the likes of Neosporin twice a day for a few days to prevent infection and it should then heal well.

3. Torn nails will normally grow back but it would be an idea to trim the other nails including the other dew claw as they are less likely to get torn. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much for your quick response. I do have some antibiotic from the vet when my other dog got attacked a month ago. Is it ok to use that or do I need to use Neosporin. Also , if I attempt to pull the nail off and need to get back in touch with you am I still covered under my initial payment or would I need to reenter my card info.

Hello again,

I personally would not prescribe a course of oral antibiotics in such cases, there should be no need, however applying an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to any exposed quick over the next few days is a wise precaution.

You can contact me at any time over the next few days regarding this matter at no additional charge, and I will be glad to talk things over with you further. { But note our time difference my current time is 8:34 AM. }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. I did put the antibiotic ointment on it.

No problem, that sounds fine, as I said these are really very minor conditions, more of an inconvenience than anything serious.

But get back to me if necessary ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 13 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the broken nail issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for checking in. He is doing fine. Of course he took the bandage off. He is walking on it fine. Either the hanging piece fell off or he took it off. Should I still take him to the vet. I put the antibiotics on him before again but he liked it off.

That sounds just fine, probably no need to have the vet check it unless you run into problems ...

Just put a little Neosporin on to any exposed areas of quick now and again and everything should be just fine.

Regards,

Dr Scott