Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Dog with fever from tick illness. Started antibiotics per

Dog with fever from tick illness. Started antibiotics per vet at noon yesterday but she keeps spiking. Snowed in. Can't get to vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dixie. 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dixie?
Customer: She is constipated and won't eat. Gave her mirtazapine7.5 mg per vet. She ate some last night but refuses food now. She is drinking water but urinating frequently.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Dixie isn't feeling well.

1. Can you confirm what antibiotic she's taking?

2. And, how much does she weigh?

3. When you say she "keeps spiking", does this mean that her temperature hasn't come down? How high is it?

4. In addition to the drugs you mentioned, was she prescribed any anti-inflammatory medication?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Doxycycline 100mg 2/day and amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium 2ml 2/ day
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She weighs 32lbs no script for anti inflammatory
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a thermometer but it was 104 yesterday. Her head feels about that warm. That's the best I can say. I've been giving her cool compresses on head and belly for about fifteen minutes every hour. She is panting but not heavily

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. My answers tend to be a little on the lengthy side, so I'll thank you in advance for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seemed to come down earlier today but I can't seem to get it down now

Her dose of Doxy sounds about what I'd prescribe for a dog this size.

While I realize that every vet practices differently, I typically administer anti-inflammatory drugs to my patients who have been diagnosed with tick diseases. These drugs not only seem to help with the stiff and sore muscles that these dogs have but also has anti-fever properties as well.

If she's not vomiting (which she shouldn't be doing unless she's reacting adversely to her antibiotics) and since she's not currently taking any steroids or nsaid medication, I'd suggest Aspirin at a dose of 5-10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day. This would calculate out to be 1/2-1 of the full strength, 325 mg sized tablets twice a day. I typically suggest that this drug be given with food to avoid stomach upset althugh this may be a little tough if she's not eating.

I almost always suggest that Doxy be given with food since it's guaranteed in most patients to cause vomiting if given on an empty stomach.

You may have to force feed her if she's not voluntarily eating...which may be secondary to her fever or possibly to the Clavamox she's being given (since anorexia can be seen with this drug).

I'd mix canned food with water or pedialyte in a blender to the consistency of soup; then use a small turkey baster or syringe to dribble this mixture into the side of her mouth where there's a gap.

I have a great deal of experience with tick diseases in my patients since I live in New England where they're endemic. I typically tell owners that it often takes at least three days of Doxy before their dogs are back to normal. I've had a few cases where they responded with just one dose of Doxy but this isn't the norm. Each day should be a little better than the day before but don't expect significant improvement until after that third dose.

So, you still have another two days to go before she's back to normal...if this is a tick disease. If she's not 100% after that 3rd dose, then something else is probably going on.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can give her weak chicken broth via syringe? Should I then wait to see if she doesn't vomit it before giving her the aspirin?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's shivering a lot but doesn't want to be covered with a blanket
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have Ensure. Can I use that? Iced in and can't get out

Yes, low sodium chicken broth is fine.

But, I'd get more than this in her stomach, if possible, before giving her the aspirin. Some dogs can handle this drug on an empty stomach but I usually recommend food first.

She's shivering because of her fever.

I don't have any experience with Ensure in dogs so I can't really advise you about that, unfortunately:( It's probably fine but I don't know for sure.

Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ill try low sodium broth first. She's a beagle and eats all kind of weird things with no problem. She hasn't spit up yet from the meds. They sure make my stomach upset...

Boy, she must have a stomach of steel if she hadn't vomited Doxy! It makes me nauseous just thinking about taking it on on empty stomach (which I've done!)

But, starting with broth makes sense. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks doc for giving me a plan. If you are a praying woman- my niece 600 miles away is undergoing photopheresis with a 5000 platelet count out of normal 150,000. Dixie is a distraction, frankly. Erin just gave birth 4 weeks ago. She's in ICU. Thank you.

You're more than welcome.

It sounds as if you're pretty much stretched to the limit emotionally with so much going on with your niece, unfortunately:(

I'll be sending positive thoughts that both she and Dixie recover from their respective problems. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Have a wonderful day. You were a pleasure to talk to. Too bad people can't get this kind of attention from their internist-lol!

Glad I could help and thanks for the kind words:)

I'm often told that people wish their human doctors were as "sharing" with information as their vets and I'm always curious to know why it's not the case.

But, I will say that I'm glad my patients have four legs and not two:) Deb