Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My done lost use of her hind legs a week ago. I brought her

Customer Question

My done lost use of her hind legs a week ago. I brought her to a neurologist and she is on meds. I have a follow up spot in 7 days (from now) but she went 18 hours without peeing and is now peeing almost every 2 hours. The pees range from small to large (mostly small). There is no blood in the urine. What should I do? She is 11 years old and I don't want her to suffer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Just checked and there doesn't appear to be one. She can't use the hind legs at all so I need to help her out with the help em harness.
JA: What is the hind's name?
Customer: Eesha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eesha?
Customer: She is on gabapentin and is whining which she doesn't normally do.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Eesha. There are two scenarios to consider. The first is that paralyzed dogs such as she can be prone to bacterial urinary tract infections secondary to nerve damage running from her injured spinal cord to her bladder and urethra. She would then become stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine.

The second scenario is that she has developed an automatic bladder. It can't tell her when to urinate and so overfills until it stretches to the point that it automatically tries to empty itself. Because we can't know which scenario exists at this time, her regular vet should take a look at Eesha and advise how best she should treated at this time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.