Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have 4 peacocks on my farm and 2 female peacocks stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I have 4 peacocks on my farm and 2 female peacocks stopped eating about 3-4 days ago. They look sleepy and their droppings are green - yellow liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the peacock. What is the peacock's name?
Customer: One is called Lui and the other female doesn't have a name.
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: How about Ala?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about One?
Customer: I have been trying to help them with Amporium for coccidian and noticed no improvement and not getting worse. They walk wobbly - could be lack of food.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Unfortunately, anorexia, somnolence (sleepiness), and diarrhea can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in peacocks. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of such a presentation, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Necropsy of a newly dead or a sacrificed severely ill bird then refrigerated (not frozen) can be an important diagnostic particularly in large flocks. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian for help in arranging a necropsy.

It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of her financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects two birds on your farm. It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you but such is the dilemma of poultry owners and vets alike.

Here's an overview of peacock diseases for you: http://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/articles/diseases-of-peafowl/