Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I take Gleevec. After throwing up, my yourkie licked some

Customer Question

I take Gleevec. After throwing up, my yourkie licked some vomit off something he pulled from the trash can.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Yorkie dog. 15 lbs
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Barron. 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barron?
Customer: Healthy boy. Acts as if he isn't feeling well now
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about this ingestion. This is actually a drug we do use in dogs, so its not an outright poisoning. As well, if he just licked a bit, then all we'd expect with this is GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, belly cramps). So, in this case, we'd just want to monitor Barron and can address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). If his stools are loose, fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) can be added to these meals to firm that for him. And ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if he appears nauseous we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again this is a medication we do use in dogs and if he just had a bit diluted in vomit then this is a low risk situation and we'd want to treat symptomatically.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )