Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a bag of Kirkland Dental chews (32) what should I

Customer Question

My dog ate a bag of Kirkland Dental chews (32) what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ruby a yellow lab who is 7yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?
Customer: She eats anything other than that she is in fine health
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In my experience the chances are that a dog the size of a Lab will come through this without any major problem, sure you may see some signs of indigestion and perhaps a bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea over the next 24 hours, but normally that should be it.

2. One of the best ways of handling this would be to starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water, then keep her on light feeding for a further 24 hours and then back on her normal diet after that.

3. However one thing you should be aware of in these situations is bloat or twisted stomach, while this is unlikely it is a very dangerous condition so keep a close eye on Ruby for any signs of a distended abdomen perhaps combined with vomiting and drooling, if in doubt of this point then take her to an ER vet ASAP.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ruby's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Scott, I will follow you r advice.It was super having this place to go to get help. Sincerely, ***** *****

No problem Suzan,

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Suzan,

I am just checking back in to see how Ruby is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dental chews issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?