Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a question?? my mom rescued a lost dog a year ago and

Customer Question

hi I have a question?? my mom rescued a lost dog a year ago and no claimed it since. Well I'm trying to get information on cost on a flea pills and shots.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: well I haven't took the dog yet.. I'm doing research first.. we are limited on money too.. we are not sure how old he is hes part chiquiua and some thing else and a little old. his name is chico
JA: How old is chico?
Customer: we don't know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chico?
Customer: my mom was at Walmart and it was stormy out side and the he approach heard ever since my mom has had him since.. well I know he doesn't h
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, it will depend on your location, the facility you use (standard vets, charity low cost vaccine clinic, etc) and with the flea treatment you choose as to how much it will cost. Now since costs are an issue and the average cost for this first course of dog vaccinations ranges from $20 to $150, you may want to have a peek at the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) as they often have lower cost options. And since Chico has an unknown history, your mum would ideally want him to be vaccinated like a puppy (2-3 vaccines, 2-4 weeks apart). That way we can insure he has full immunity to those agents we are trying to protect him from. Finally, for fleas, products like Capstar, Advantage II, and Advantix can be purchased OTC at larger pet stores and thus could allow you to keep costs of treating for fleas down as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.