Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 yr old dogh, 2 yr small breed dog. Sudden change in

Customer Question

My 2 yr old dogh
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 2 yr small breed dog. Sudden change in behavior. Has become Lethargic lethargic.still
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: He seems interested in food. He usually is some what hyper barks a Lot. This is a sudden change. He ate around 5 and within 2 hrs he changed. He seems to be a bit weak in his hind quarters but doesn't seem like he is in pain.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear bear in unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Bear over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he has suddenly become very lethargic makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Bear to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bear's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bear is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect elevated temperature ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?