Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is vomiting a yellow and clear substance that gives

Customer Question

my dog is vomiting a yellow and clear substance that gives off a notable odor. she is low on energy also. She is a fourteen year old part lab/part unknown. Any immediate ideas ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she suffers from arthritis....not unusual
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ten hours/arthritis/65lbs/one for arthritis...cannot recall the name....not at her home right now

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

The yellow color vomit is bile, this is common with forceful vomiting; the odor is related to the stomach content. As far as the cause, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Stop all oral medications until she is no longer vomiting.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter