Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

My daughter is moving into an apartment with a loft with her

Customer Question

my daughter is moving into an apartment with a loft with her 4 year old cat the loft is about 9 feet high with a 3 ft balcony should she be worried about the cat jumping off the balcony to the lower floor?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: ok how do i get a response from the vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry you are worried about your daughter's cat. It is hard to say what any cat will do! I once heard of a blind Chihuahua would would jump from the upstairs balcony onto the couch!

If he is an active cat, he may jump or fall. Although 9 feet is a long distance, cats have survived much longer falls with few or no injuries. A cat once fell out of a high rise, I forget how many stories, and only broke the tip of his lower jaw that healed well. They do land on their feet!

If he jumps on purpose, he will probably be aiming for a soft landing, such as a piece of furniture. He might even try to jump from the lower level onto the balcony, and he might miss and fall; I have seen cats try to jump up onto the ceiling rafters (again with no injuries). It will really be up to him what he tried to do, but being a cat his fall (if he falls) may not leave him with serious injuries.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 16 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?