Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My friend has a mastiff mix male 3 year old has had bumps on

Customer Question

my friend has a mastiff mix male 3 year old has had bumps on his belly and sides. No heads to pop now the bumps have gone down and turned into black splotches swelling is gone. He is also itch and chewing his butt constantly. Help what is it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the mastiff's name?
Customer: i dont think it is fleas explain please
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the mastiff?
Customer: no
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You appear to be describing a superifical spreading pyoderma - a Staph infection of the skin, usually. The brown splotches are epidermal collarettes - roughly circular skin lesions that begin as pustules and then spread out. The center of the collarettes quiets down and often hyperpigments as you've seen while the rim of the collarette can remain actively infected and inflamed. These pyodermas are usually addressed with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin as well as an antimicrobial shampoo containing chlorhexidine. The antibiotic is by prescription only through an attending vet. The shampoos can be found over the counter. Malaseb (https://www.amazon.com/Malaseb-Shampoo-Bayer-Healthcare-473/dp/B00061MP5G) is a good choice when used twice weekly as it can hasten resolution of the infection.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?