Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

16 pound dog 8 about 1/3 box of C candy last night he

Customer Question

16 pound dog 8 about 1/3 box of C candy last night he vomited about 5 or 6 times including this morning will not eat and has diarrhea what do you recommend
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I gave him a lot of food after he ate the candy and that he vomited last night
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Archie is 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Archie?
Customer: I think that covers it
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, Archie wasn't intoxicated by the theobromine in the chocolate he ingested because it takes ~16 ounces of pure milk chocolate or ~5 ounces of pure dark chocolate for that to occur in a 16 lb dog - vomiting, agitation, and tremors are seen. As with ingesting anything unusual, however, transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise as you've seen.

If theobromine is at least partially responsible for Archie's GI distress, you need not do anything but fast him for another 12 hours. The half-life of theobromine is quite long - 17.5 hours and so he could remain symptomatic for 24-36 hours. Symptomatic care with bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol) is reasonable at a dose of 1mL (1/5 measuring teaspoon) 3-4 times daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Doctor it sounds very good

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

errata: it should have said "...at a dose of 1 mL per pound of body weight (1/5 measuring teaspoon) 3-4 times daily." Mea culpa.