Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our 45 pound mixed breed 8 some cooked onions mixed in with

Customer Question

Our 45 pound mixed breed 8 some cooked onions mixed in with baked beans he is eating a lot of grass apparently trying to purge
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 45 Husky mix
JA: OK. What is the husky's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** years old
JA: What is the husky's name?
Customer: Ivan
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivan?
Customer: No very active walked two miles yesterday
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much onion do you estimate he had?

How long ago?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2 ounces cooked or less about an hour ago his gums are pink
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Then I assume I will still get an answer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now onions can be a problem for dogs. As you are seeing, they can cause nausea and GI upset. That said, in large doses it can also damage red blood cells to cause anemia. That said, given Ivan's weight, this is a thankfully a low dose ingestion.

Therefore, we have a few options here. Since he just had this so recently, we can err on the side of caution and induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we can choose to monitor and just address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, for his nausea we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And as this is a low dose toxicity, we'd hope to get him settled with that if you chose not to induce vomiting.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.