Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

Have a 11 yo springer spaniel, slightly overweight having

Customer Question

Have a 11 yo springer spaniel, slightly overweight having trouble w/ stairs, pain in her back area
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the springer spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Fannie, 11 yo
JA: How old is Fannie?
Customer: 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fannie?
Customer: She sleeps allot, not extremely active & very sensitive tummy
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

A common cause would be arthritis. It could be in her hips or her back. Has she ever had x-rays or been diagnosed with arthritis?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

Normally I could tell you to try giving her aspirin and see if that helps. But if she has a sensitive stomach the aspirin could easily upset her stomach. She may need a pain medication from the vet that is less likely to upset her stomach.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I try to keep her diet consistent, though she is fond of her treats.
I ordered glucosamine from costco, can I give anything to ease difficulty & pain
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

Well you mentioned she has a sensitive stomach and the ONLY over the counter pain medication you can give dogs is aspirin. But aspirin is know to cause gastrointestinal upset and if she has a sensitive stomach it could cause a flare up.

You could try giving the aspirin with a large meal but it still may upset her stomach.

5mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

For example a 50 pound dog would take 250mg of aspirin every 12 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

But the vet could prescribe pain medication that would be less likely to upset her stomach like Tramadol or Deramax.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

If she sprained a muscle in her back then the vet could prescribe a muscle relaxer as well.

So if she has a sensitive stomach then I have a feeling she is going to have to get a prescription pain medication from a vet.

If money is tight right after the holidays you could take her to the vet and just have an exam an a prescription for pain medication. The vet may recommend blood work or x-rays but you could decline those for now.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 19 days ago.

Sometimes a heating pad or ice pack on the lower back or hips, the area it hurts, can help too.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 16 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby